JUPAS Admissions Scheme
As a prospective student applying on the strength of your results with the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), here’s everything you need to know to submit your HKU application through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS).
In response to the new grading system for the revised Liberal Studies subject, which is now known as Citizenship and Social Development, of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) with only two grades: “Attained (A)” and “Not Attained (NA)”,
Referencing HKU’s admissions standards to ensure you meet both the entrance and programme-specific requirements.
A. University Entrance Requirements
|English Language||Chinese Language||Mathematics||Liberal Studies2 / Citizenship and Social Development|
|Level 3||Level 3||Level 2||Level 2 / Attained (A)|
|1st Senior Secondary Elective Subject (Category A)3||2nd Senior Secondary Elective Subject (Category A) or Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1 or 2) / Other Language Subject (Category C)|
|Level 3||Level 3 / Grade E|
- The result of the Mathematics Extended Part (Modules 1 and 2) will be recognised as equivalent to that of a full elective in fulfilling the University Entrance Requirement on the condition that one of the elective subjects must be a Senior Secondary Subject (i.e. Category A Subject).
- The result(s) of Liberal Studies achieved in previous sitting(s) will also be considered.
- The result(s) of Combined Science and Integrated Science achieved in previous sitting(s) will also be considered.
- "Attained with Distinction" obtained prior to 2018, or "Attained with Distinction (I)" or "Attained with Distinction (II)" obtained in or after 2018, in Applied Learning subjects (other than Applied Learning Chinese) will be used as additional supporting information. In the meantime, student learning experiences in Applied Learning subjects may be considered within the context of other learning experiences in their application.
- Other Language subjects will be used as unspecified elective subjects. The minimum requirement is Grade E.
Category A: Senior Secondary Subjects
|Level 1 - 4||Level 5||Level 5*||Level 5**|
|1 - 4||5.5||7||8.5|
“Attained” in Citizenship and Social Development will not be included in the admissions score calculation.
The result(s) of Liberal Studies, Combined Science and Integrated Science achieved in previous sitting(s) will also be considered.
Category C: Other Language Subjects for 2024
|Grade E||Grade D||Grade C||Grade B||Grade A|
Category C: Other Language Subjects for 2025 Onwards
|Category C Subjects||HKU Converted Score|
|Korean||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5||Level 6|
French / German / Spanish
The stipulated language examinations are as listed below, please refer to the HKEAA website for details.
- Japanese: Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- Korean: Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK)
- French: The Diplôme d'Etudes de Langue Française (DELF) and Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française (DALF)
- German: Goethe-Zertifikat for German
- Spanish: Diplomas de Espanol como Lengua Extranjera (DELE)
We welcome eligible NCS applicants (both school or non-school) to submit Alternative Qualifications in Chinese Language (ACL), i.e. GCSE / GCE etc. for consideration to satisfy the general Chinese Language requirement.
If NCS applicants submit more than one ACL and / or have HKDSE Chinese Language result, the best result will be considered.
Further information on submissions and verification of ACL is available on the JUPAS website.
HKU Flexible Admissions Arrangement
Under the new arrangement, candidates who fail to achieve “Level 3” in either Chinese, English, or the two elective subjects will still have a chance to enter the University, if they achieve good grades in other subjects and attain a score not lower than “Level 2” in the subject they underperformed. However, the applicants’ total HKDSE score (calculated with different programmes’ scoring formula) will be deducted by 10%.
Such applicants will have to include the programme concerned as one of their Band A programme choices, pass an interview and fulfil any additional programme entrance requirements.
This flexible arrangement applies to all HKU undergraduate programmes.
Submission of Other Experiences and Achievements in Competitions/ Activities (OEA) information and uploading of required supporting documents via the JUPAS online application system (as appropriate).
Applicants may update their programme choices before the release of the HKDSE Examination results. Please observe the programme entrance requirements to make sure you meet all the specified requirements of respective programmes.
Applicants can modify their programme choices at their own allotted time-slot via the JUPAS account.
Please refer to the Summary of Arrangements for Announcement and Acceptance of Offer on JUPAS website.
HKU will invite selected candidates to attend interview either before or after the release of HKDSE results. In view of a large number of applicants, preference for interview invitation will be given to candidates who place the programme as their Band A choice. The interview schedule will be available in late October.
Fees and Scholarships
HKU offers a broad range of scholarships that support local undergraduate students with one-off payments as well as renewable cover for tuition and living expenses throughout your studies. Scholarships are merit-based and recognise top-ranking JUPAS students across different faculties. The highest HKDSE scorers can earn scholarships that cover full tuition fees plus living expenses.
Spend two years in Hong Kong followed by three years in Cambridge and earn a Bachelor of Engineering from HKU and both a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Engineering from the University of Cambridge upon successful completion of this five-year programme.