|Abbreviation||FT / PT|
|PGDE||FT / PT|
The Postgraduate Diploma in Education [PGDE] programme prepares university graduates to teach in Hong Kong in sectors ranging from kindergartens to secondary schools. It offers both full-time and part-time mode of study. The full-time programme extends over one academic year and provides initial professional teacher training for students without previous teaching experience. The part-time programme extends over two academic years and provides in-service teachers with professional training and a basis for continuing professional development. The PGDE is a teacher training qualification recognised by the Education Bureau of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
Mode of Attendance
Full Time (normally one year, up to a maximum of two years, with classes possibly on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Part Time (normally two years, up to a maximum of four years, with classes on weekday evenings and/or Saturday)
Medium of Instruction
Programme Entrance Requirements
A candidate shall satisfy both the University Admissions Requirements and the Programme Specific Requirements as listed below:
- comply with the General Regulations and the Regulations for Taught Postgraduate Curricula;
- hold a Bachelor's degree of this University or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
- normally be expected to have completed a substantial portion of their undergraduate studies in the major subject for which they wish to apply.
- for a part-time applicant, normally be a serving teacher in Hong Kong schools with a minimum of one year of relevant teaching experience;
- a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b) having: a) a score of 550 or above (paper-based test), or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)#; or b) a minimum overall band of 6 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)#; or c) grade C or above either in the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language;
- all candidates shall satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination, if required.
#For admission, only TOEFL or IELTS scores recorded in the two years before the date of application are considered.
Programme Admissions Advisor(s)
Dr Arthur Lee
List of Programmes
Full Time: To be confirmed
Part Time: To be confirmed